Professor Paul Conway FREng Pronouns: He/him BEng (Hons) DIS MSc CEng FIMechE SMIEEE
Dean of School
Professor of Manufacturing Processes
Director, EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Embedded Intelligence
- +44 (0)1509 227505
- DAV.1.005, Sir David Davies Building
- EPSRC Centre for Doctoral Training in Embedded Intelligence, Innovative Electronics Manufacturing Research Centre
- Research publications
- View Researcher ID profile
- Educated at University of Ulster, Jordanstown and Loughborough University.
- Previously worked at Fisher Body Overseas Corporation, GMC.
- Joined Loughborough University in 1989 as a Research Associate, became a Lecturer in 1990, subsequently Senior Lecturer in 1998, Reader in July 2000 and Professor in April 2005.
Research Interests and Activities
- Joining and assembly processes in micro-scale systems
- Packaging of intelligent sensor and electronics data processing into new environments
- Materials processing for electronics and photonics intensive products
- Micro materials analysis and modelling
- Design for manufacture of electronics systems
- Healthcare production engineering
- Reviewer for Journal of Materials Science, Journal of Electronic Materials, Journal Processing of Advanced Materials, Proceedings IMechE, Transactionsof the IEEE CPMT, Transactions ASME Journal of Electronics Packaging, Journal of Materials Research, Journal Materials Science and Engineering Pt A
- EPSRC College member
- Chair of Strategic Advisory Team for EPSRC's Manufacturing the Future Theme
- Associate Editor of IEEE Transactions of the CPMT, Electronics Packaging Manufacture
- 2003 IEEE/CPMT/SEMI Best paper award at the 28th IEEE IEMTS Conference, San Francisco, Ca., for: Huang, Z., Conway, P.P., Liu, C. and Thomson, R.C.,''Inter-dependence of Processing and Alloy Composition on the Reliability of Sn-based Lead Free Solders in Fine Pitch FCOB Interconnection''.
- (2003 IEEE/EMAP Cookson’s Best paper Award, Singapore, for: Huang, Z., Conway, P.P., Liu, C. and Thomson, R.C.,''Thermodynamic and Kinetic Behaviour of Materials in Micro Joints Formed with Sn-Pb and Pb free Solders''.
- 1993 I.Mech.E Thatcher Bros. Prize: Williams, D.J., Conway, P.P. and Whalley, D.C.,''Making Circuits More Than Once: The Manufacturing Challenges of Electronics Intensive Products'', Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 207, 1993, pp 83-90, ISSN 0205-1904.
- 1993 I.Mech.E Donald Julius Groen Prize: Williams, D.J., Conway, P.P. and Whalley, D.C., ''Making Circuits More Than Once: The Manufacturing Challenges of Electronics Intensive Products'', Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, 207, 1993, pp 83-90, ISSN 0205-1904.
- 1988 I.Prod.E. Shorts Bros. PLC Prize