Working for Loughborough University

International applicants


Many staff relocating from overseas find temporary accommodation (e.g. in a hotel or bed and breakfast) initially as it is much easier to find accommodation once you have entered the UK. The University owns two hotels on or near to campus.

The University’s Student Accommodation Centre can provide advice and information to staff relocating to Loughborough and may (subject to availability) be able to provide short term temporary accommodation while you are house-hunting. Unfortunately they do not have accommodation suitable for couples or families, however. The team can be contacted by email or telephone 01509 222258 / 222253 (general enquiries) or 0844 709 2000 (advice line).

For the longer term, you will have two options, depending on your circumstances. You can either let a property or you can buy one.

Letting (or renting) is where you enter into a contract with a landlord or company to live in a property in exchange for rent. When you let a property you are often subject to certain restrictions that limit what you can do to the property. These will be stated in the contract you sign, which is normally called a tenancy agreement, which is a legal document. When you start letting a property, you are usually required to pay a deposit equivalent to one month’s rent. 

Buying a property means that you become the owner of the property. Because of the cost of houses in the UK, many people apply for a mortgage from a bank or building society which enables them to borrow the money in order to purchase the property and then repay the loan over an extended period (usually a maximum of 25 years). If you are considering this option, you can seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser or from an estate agent.

The Student Accommodation Centre will be able to provide you with information about letting properties in the local area. However, for a full range of properties in and around Loughborough, visit the Rightmove website. Details of local estate agents are also available.