Frequently asked questions

Some of the questions that are most often asked

Questions about Design

I have something I need designing, where do I start?

Please contact one of our account handlers, Lynne Atkin or Matt Cawrey, who can discuss your requirements and advise you on the most cost effective way to produce your job. They will establish a design specification and once agreed, they will organise a quotation for you. Once this quotation is approved, we schedule the work into production.

How do I supply text for my job?

Please send any text via email, preferably as a Microsoft Word document. Please make sure this text is as accurate as possible to reduce proofing stages and to keep costs to a minimum. We can also accept content via Dropbox, Google Drive, WeTransfer or other similar services.

Where do I find images for my job?

You can source existing University photography online via ImageBank. Alternatively, you can contact our photographer who has access to additional photographs. He can also talk to you about taking bespoke images to suit your needs. 

We do recognise at times that we won’t have certain images to meet your requirements. In this case, we will use our preferred stock image provider, Fotolia. Feel free to browse the Fotolia website and choose some suitable imagery. You can then supply us with the image references and we can obtain free, lo-res versions to use in concept designs. Once the concept design has been agreed, we can purchase the hi-res image for the final artwork at a cost of £1.44 per credit.*

If you require a diagram, illustration or infographic, the design studio can create this for you.

* cost is subject to change.

Visit the photography section to find out more ImageBank

What image files and quality do you suggest?

JPG, TIF or EPS files are usually the best for our designers to work with in either RGB or CMYK. We need files as high resolution electronic files and request they are 300 dots per inch (DPI) at the size you expect to use them.

When saving images, always select the highest quality and turn off any compression before saving. Please do not embed the images into Microsoft Word documents as this reduces their quality.

How long on average does it take to turn a job around?

This usually depends upon the size and complexity of the job. Once a quote is accepted, design usually takes up to five workings days for first proof stage. You are responsible for proofing work so you must pass proofs back quickly to avoid delays.

How can I promote an event that I am organising?

Please contact one of our account handlers, Lynne Atkin or Matt Cawrey, who will discuss with you how to coordinate all of your marketing material. They will discuss initial publicity to final event items to ensure you have a professional, consistent look and feel to the event.

Questions about Print

How do I get my file to you for printing?

We take files over the counter at the Print Services reception in the Manzoni building from your USB memory stick. All memory sticks are virus checked before we process your file for print so please ensure that you only have the file to be printed loaded on to it to ensure the virus checking process is speedy.

Files can be sent to File integrity is maintained best when you save your file as a PDF before sending it to us.

Staff and students can upload pdf files to our online printing service website to take advantage of the majority of our printing and binding services, available both on university computers and off campus through the VPN.

We cannot access files stored on your personal email, cloud storage or university desktop.

We cannot carry out any file changes at the counter. Please make sure that your file is ready for print.

What are the standard paper sizes?


105mm x 148mm


148mm x 210mm


210mm x 297mm


297mm x 420mm


420mm x 594mm


594mm x 841mm


841mm x 1189mm

What does ‘bleed’ mean?

This is when the printed area extends out of the trimmed area. To achieve this, printers print a larger area than is required on oversized paper and then trim the paper down to the required finished size.

Can I pay by card?

At the print services counter we accept all cards except for American Express. For credit cards the minimum payment amount is £5. There is no lower limit for debit cards. We can now take contactless payments, including Apple and Android pay.

The online printing service website for staff and students accepts payment by credit or debit card, and by charge code. Unfortunately it cannot currently take payments from your print credit account.

Questions about Mailroom and parcels

Where can I send post or collect parcels from?

We operate a limited number of postal services from our reception in the Herbert Manzoni building.

These include postage stamps, stamped mail collection, recorded delivery and DHL services.

Parcels can also be collected from this location. There is also a post box just outside of the reception.

Can I obtain a certificate of postage?

Unfortunately, as we are not a Royal Mail Post Office we cannot provide any proof of postage receipts. We would strongly recommend using signed for or tracked services for valuable items.

What are the last dates for posting my letter or parcel?

For a list of national and international Christmas postal dates, please view our Christmas postal dates page.

Christmas postal dates