Are you a staff member supporting Doctoral Researchers? Here you will find key documents, information, resources and development opportunities.
For School-specific queries, check out the list of current Directors of Doctoral Programmes (DDP), Deputy DDPs and Doctoral Administrators.
Core documents and regulations
- Regulation XXVI: Research Degree Programmes
- Code of Practice on Research Degree Programmes
- Doctoral College Handbook (PDF)
- Supervisor Handbook (coming soon)
Administration of programmes and Doctoral Researchers
Doctoral Researcher registration, progression and completion
- Documentation page - forms, checklists and other documentation for DRs
- Doctoral Researcher administration - including attendance monitoring guidance [intranet]
- Managing your registration details
- Recording supervision sessions
- Sickness, maternity or paternity leave
- Applying for suspension of studies
- Withdrawal from studies
- Submission of thesis
Programme creation and partnerships
- Guidance on setting up externally sponsored studentships [intranet]
- Ops Strategic approval [intranet]
- Programme approval flowchart [intranet]
- International partnership matrix [intranet]
International Doctoral Researchers
- English language requirements
- Visa and immigration advice
- Brexit FAQs
- Academic Technology Approval Scheme
Recruitment and advertising
- PhD projects upload form (funded and unfunded)
- PhD advertisement best practice guide [intranet]
- Guidance for PGR Administrators [intranet]
Research ethics, IP and enterprise
- Research ethics information - Research Committee, home of the Ethical Policy Framework
- Research ethics and integrity - guidance site from REO to help achieve research excellence
- Intellectual Property information - University Ordinance 39
- Commercialisation of Research [intranet] - guidance from the REO Commercialisation Team
- Graduate Enterprise [intranet] - guidance from the REO Student Enterprise, introducing the Loughborough Enterprise Network and The Studio
Support for supervisors and the Supervisor Development Programme
PhD supervisors are an integral part of research leadership within our Schools, contributing not only to a positive doctoral experience for our Doctoral Researchers, but also to the University’s research ambitions. An outstanding doctoral experience is a core objective of Loughborough’s offering, and PhD supervisors are key to enabling this.
The Supervisor Development Programme supports this ambition by providing targeted development opportunities and support to reflect on and enhance their supervisory practice.
The programme has 5 modules:
- The Loughborough PhD Supervisor and the Doctoral Experience ;
- Wellbeing and Pastoral Support
- Supervising for and Valuing Difference
- Recruitment and Selection for Research Degrees
- Building Effective Supervisory Relationships and Supporting your Doctoral Researcher’s Professional Development
The programme is delivered collaboratively by both academic and Professional Services staff.
Dates of sessions in the 22-23 academic year will be shared in due course.