Use of University Information Technology Facilities
(Version effective from 1 August 2011)
- This Regulation applies to all IT facilities provided centrally or by any School or section of the University. It should be interpreted such that it has the widest application and includes connections to external IT facilities and the use of personal equipment if used on University business or to transmit information via University facilities.
- All users of University IT facilities are bound by general law, this Regulation, the University’s IT Acceptable Use Policy and any requirements specified by Deans of Schools for the use of School facilities.
2. Discipline and Penalties
- Breaches of this Regulation, the University’s IT Acceptable Use Policy or specific School requirements shall be regarded as disciplinary offences under Ordinance XVII Conduct and Discipline of Students.
- The Director of IT Services (or their nominee) and Deans of Schools may take disciplinary action against students in accordance with Ordinance XVII including the levying of fines, or in exceptional circumstances, temporary exclusion from use of University IT facilities pending disciplinary action under Ordinance XVII.
- Staff shall be subject to the same penalties as students for Minor Offences in breach of this Regulation, the University’s IT Acceptable Use Policy or specific School requirements and the procedure shall be the same as that set out in Ordinance XVII. Appeals shall be considered by the Chair of the Student Disciplinary Appeals Committee as set out in paragraph 2(iv) of Ordinance XVII.
- Staff who commit Major Offences in relation to the use of University IT facilities shall be subject to disciplinary action under the relevant Conditions of Service.