Loughborough University
Leicestershire, UK
LE11 3TU
+44 (0)1509 263171
Loughborough University

Student Wellbeing and Inclusivity

Frequently Asked Questions

The Disability Office provides a wide range of support, advice and guidance for disabled students. Support is available for students with long term health conditions, physical and sensory impairments, autistic spectrum disorders and dyslexia. We work with students to agree any adjustments that might be required (including exam arrangements), to support students in accessing funding through the Disabled Students Allowance and with students’ academic departments to help ensure students’ needs are met during their studies. Click here for more information. 

If you experience mental health difficulties then please refer to the Student Wellbeing guidance here.

1 - How do I get advice from the Disability Support Team?

Advice is available from Advisors during the daily term time drop-in (times to the right). Alternatively, you can call 01509 222770 or email StudentInclusion@lboro.ac.uk to request advice. 

Please note we do not provide urgent medical assistance.  If you are in crisis and need urgent support you should contact your GP for medical advice.

Covid-19 update All student appointments/drop-in sessions are now happening remotely via the telephone or face-to-face using Microsoft Teams. Please visit the appointment bookings page for further information.

2 - University wide support

The following support is available to students, regardless of whether they register for support with us: 

  • Academic skills workshops are run by the library here
  • Support by the Maths Learning Support Centre here
  • On line study advice here.
  • The English Language Support Service also offer a range of support options to help you develop your language and study skills to help you succeed on your academic programme. 
  • The university has some specialist assistive software available across campus to download via the IT webpage here.
  • Your department may also be able to offer you additional support. 
  • Wardens and Sub-wardens are available in each University Hall to help ensure the hall provides a supportive and enjoyable environment for all the student residents.
  • Academic Librarians are available to assist all University staff and students, offering specialist 1-2-1 advice on any information related query including academic skills, referencing, conducting a literature review and getting published.
  • Wellbeing Advisors are based in each academic school to offer advice and support on a wide range of wellbeing related issues.

Covid-19 update Click here for the availability of services for students


3 - Eligibility

A disability under the law is defined as ‘A physical or mental impairment which has lasted or is likely to last for more than 12 months and which has a substantial and adverse effect on an individual’s ability to carry out day-to-day activities’. Educational activities would be classed as day to day activities, and long term means that it is likely to last more than a year.  (Please note that there are a number of exceptions to this rule, for instance some mental health difficulties, and cancer, HIV and MS from the point of diagnosis are covered by the Act.)

Some examples of disabilities that we support students with include dyslexia, autism, diabetes, chronic fatigue syndrome (ME), hearing loss, physical disabilities, kidney transplants, visual impairment, dyspraxia, ADHD, cerebral palsy, Tourette’s syndrome, epilepsy and irritable bowel syndrome. If you are not sure if we can support you then please contact us

4 - I think I might be dyslexic, what should I do?

If you have old evidence from school or college please email this to us at StudentInclusion@lboro.ac.uk and we will advise on the next steps.

If you have no previous paperwork but feel you may be dyslexic, please come to a drop-in session (times to the right of this page) and an Advisor can discuss this further with you.

Covid-19 update Remote drop-in sessions are available via the telephone or face-to-face using Microsoft Teams. Please contact us to arrange.


5 - Injuries and sickness

The Disability Team cannot support students with sickness and injuries, unless it is a condition that has been on-going for 12 months or more. We would encourage you to discuss your situation with your personal tutor and/or administrator to identify a plan of action with them. You can also discuss with your departmental Wellbeing Advisor, by completing this online enquiry form

6 - Disability evidence

  • What evidence do I need?

Different conditions need different types of evidence. Here is a link to our evidence policy, at the end there is a table where you can see the evidence we need for your particular condition.

  • Will I have to pay to get the evidence?

Please contact us to find out whether the University is contributing to internal dyslexia assessments for the current academic year.

For students with disabilities or long term health conditions you may have something in your paperwork at home that will suffice, if you are not sure email it to StudentInclusion@lboro.ac.uk and we will check it for you. Some GP surgeries do charge for writing letters so do remember to ask this if you need to make the request. The University is unable to reimburse for any form of diagnostic assessment or evidence provision. 

7 - Disabled Students Allowance (DSA)

Please see our dedicated DSA pages here for all DSA related queries. If you need support in completing your DSA application, or are part way through the process and need some guidance on what to do next, please contact us.

8 - Coursework

  • How do I get a coursework extension? 

Please refer here for guidance on requesting coursework extension in your student handbook.

  • How do I get help with my academic writing?

Initially see your lecturer or personal tutor about help with your academic writing. If you have DSA in place and have been recommended 1:1 study skills support, contact the Study Support Service to arrange some sessions with a specialist teacher here.  If you have DSA in place and have been recommended study skills support time, you can discuss this with your specialist tutor.

  • I have a lot of reading to do for my course how can I get support with this?

Initially see your lecturer or personal tutor about help with your academic reading. If you have DSA in place and have been recommended study skills support time, you can discuss this with your specialist tutor.

  • I need help with Maths and statistics – where can I access support?

The Maths Learning Support Centre on campus offers support to all students with maths work. If you are dyslexic and would like 1-1 support with maths you should contact Clare Trott StudentInclusion@lboro.ac.uk in the MLSC. 

9 - Exams

  • Covid-19 update: 

Please refer here for up to date information and guidance

  • Have I got extra time / rest breaks / a computer for my exams?

You can check here on your self-service webpage www.lboro.ac.uk/registry/self-service

  • I had extra time/other adjustments in school, how can I get them at University?

For dyslexia and other SpLDs you will need to provide the University with the appropriate diagnostic report. For guidance on these reports please click here to see our evidence policy. We will then use this report to make any adjustments you may need to examinations. 

If you have a disability or long term health condition you will need to meet with a Disability Advisor to discuss with you options available at University. You will need to provide the Disability Office with suitable evidence of your condition before any adjustments can be approved. Please contact us to make an appointment. 

  • Can I use a computer in my exams?

If your SpLD assessment recommends the use of a computer then you can. Please contact us to make the request. If your report has not recommended it then it is not usually permitted but cases are dealt with on an individual basis so if you wish to pursue this then contact us to discuss your options. 

If you need to use a computer due to medical/health reasons you will need to make an appointment to see a Disability Advisor to discuss this further, please contact us. 

  • Where do I go for my exams?

You can check on your self-service webpage

  • I am feeling stressed and anxious about my exams, what can I do?

There are some self-help materials available in the library and also some workshops on various topics to do with studying and exams. 

If you feel these are not enough for you can appointment to see someone in the Mental Health Support Team

  • I missed my exam because of my disability, what should I do?

You need to submit an Mitigating Circumstances claim to the University, within the stated deadline.

10 - Car parking and campus transport

  • How do I apply for a disabled parking pass on campus?

Email your request to StudentInclusion@lboro.ac.uk outlining the reasons a permit is necessary in line with your disability. An Advisor will then review your case file and contact you accordingly. 

  • Can I have a temporary car park permit?

Temporary car parking permits can be issued depending on the reason for the request. Contact the parking team here for more information. 

  • How frequently does the free campus shuttle bus run?

Click here for more information about the Kinchbus which has bus stops all around campus and is free on campus with your student card. 

11 - Accommodation

  • Can I stay in Halls after my Fresher’s year?

As a returning student you will need to make an application in accordance with the  Accommodation Services procedures. Under the ‘do you want a particular room’ section you need to outline the disability-related reason on which you are basing your request to return. 

Unlike in Fresher’s year, Accommodation Services and the Disability Office / Mental Health Support Team do not get involved in room allocation to students. The hall wardens make the decision on room allocation for returning students so you may also wish to contact them as well http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/student-services/wardens-service/ . Wardens may check you are registered with the Disability Office / Mental Health Support Team if they are not aware of your disability in order to ensure they are allocating rooms appropriately. 

Only if your current room is an adapted wheelchair accessible one should also email your request to StudentInclusion@lboro.ac.uk

  • How do I get a fridge/sharps bin/equipment for my room?

Contact us so you can discuss your requirements with a Disability Advisor. We will need medical evidence of your condition before any adjustments/equipment can be provided. Click here for the type of evidence you will need to provide us with. 

  • Is an adapted room more expensive than other rooms?

Adapted en-suite rooms are charged at the same rate as non-adapted en-suite rooms. 

  • I have a professional carer – how does accommodation support this?

Please contact the Disability Support Team manager as soon aspossible to discuss your circumstances.

12 - Dyslexia / Educational Psychologist assessment

  • How much does it cost?

Private assessments vary in their pricing, and please do be aware that you will need to cover the costs even if your assessment finds you not to have a SpLD. You should contact assessors and ask for a quote directly http://www.lboro.ac.uk/services/cds/dyslexia/assessment/

  • Will I need another assessment when I start work or continue onto post graduate studies?

If your assessment was done by an Educational Psychologist or specialist teacher when you were over 16 years of age then you will not need another reassessment as an adult.

  • The report says I need a specialist eye test – what does this mean? 

Some people find that the glare from reading on white paper causes them visual stress. This can be helped by coloured paper over-lays, or by tinted glasses, which can reduce the glare and therefore make text easier to read.  You can pay for a private test at an optometrist test, details of which can be found here

13 - Mitigating Circumstances Claims

  • Can the disability support team help me with my claim?

For independent advice on making an MC claim it is recommended you LSU Advice  in the first instance. 

  • I am a final year student only recently identified as having dyslexia. Can I make a claim for previous academic years?

Mitigating Circumstances can only usually be considered within the current academic year. Please see the guidelines here. Contact your department to ask whether they will consider a claim for previous academic years.  

LSU Advice may also be able to advise you. 

  • need to complete a claim because of an injury / illness during the exam period.

This is not related to a disability therefore you follow University guidance on submitting a claim. You may also find it helpful to discuss the impact it is having on your studies with your Wellbeing Advisor and your department so they can look to support you further.

All information about MC claims can be found on the main University webpage here


Search CDS

Contact Us

Disability Office

01509 222770

Disability Office Query Form

Building Location

‌Bridgeman Building (No 53 on Campus Map.  The number of blue badge parking bays is shown in the box next to the wheelchair symbol)

Epinal Way

Loughborough, LE11 3TU