How do I install?
Be prepared. Enrol now.
Instructions for first time setup and guidance for transferring an existing Duo account to new device.
Change of smartphone?
The Duo Mobile app is tied to a specific device’s hardware security module (HSM), not the mobile number it has been registered with. Therefore, you will need to reinstall and reactivate Duo Mobile on your new device before resetting or disposing of your old device.
Duo Restore for iOS
Step 1: Enabling Duo Restore
Due to how apps are automatically backed up in iOS, the backup functionality of Duo Restore is always on for iOS users who have iCloud enabled.
- Make sure you are running the latest version of the Duo Mobile App on your current iOS device.
- Back up your device to iCloud, with iCloud Keychain enabled to use Instant Restore. Nightly iCloud backups will include Duo Restore information. Encrypted iTunes or Finder backups will also work.
Step 2 : Restoring Duo Mobile account onto New Device
Recovering Duo-Protected Accounts with Instant Restore
- Sign in to iCloud on your iOS device and restore from an iCloud, iTunes, or Finder backup. If using iCloud, enable iCloud Keychain. This could be the same device as before, or a brand-new one.
- Download the Duo Mobile app on your new device.
- Open Duo Mobile and tap Continue on the welcome screen. Duo will locate your backed-up Duo-protected account(s) and restore them to your new device. When complete, you’re taken to the accounts list in the app.
- An activation notification will be sent to your old device. Tap ‘Yes’ to deactivate the accounts on your old device and continue using your Duo account(s) on the new device instead.
If you ever receive a Duo activation notification you did not initiate, click ‘No’ to protect your account and alert IT Services about the fraudulent reactivation.
Duo Restore for Android
Step 1: Enabling Duo Restore
You must have access to Duo Mobile on your old Android device in order to use Instant Restore. If you can't open Duo Mobile on your old device, for example, if your phone was lost or damaged, please contact the IT Service Desk.
- Open Duo Mobile and tap the menu icon in the top corner and tap Settings.
- Tap Duo Restore in the "General" settings.
- On the "Duo Restore Settings" screen, tap the “Backup accounts with Google Drive” slider to turn it on.
- Select the Google account to use for Duo Restore and grant Duo Mobile permission to store the backup in your Google Drive.
Step 2 : Restoring Duo Mobile Accounts
- From your new Android device, download the latest Duo Mobile App from the Google Play Store.
- Open the Duo Mobile app on your new device.
- Tap I have existing accounts from the welcome screen.
- Duo Mobile will check for a previous backup in Google Drive. Select the Google account you used when initially setting up Duo Restore.
- You'll be asked if you have your old phone. Tap Yes, continue setup to continue.
- Open Duo Mobile on your old phone, tap the menu icon in the top corner, then tap Settings.
- Locate the “Connect a new phone” settings item and tap View QR code to display a QR barcode on the screen.
- Return to your new phone, and tap Scan QR code in step 3, then scan the QR code shown on your old phone to complete account restoration.
- Duo Mobile locates your backed-up Duo-protected accounts and restores them to your device, showing a success message when complete.
For further assistance, please contact the IT Service Desk.